Thursday, January 30, 2014

Gradual Release

When we discussed Gradual Release in class on Wednesday, I had really only heard of it. It was one of those buzz words in education that I had heard and knew what it generally meant. Though I knew that it was about have students get more control of learning in the classroom, I did not know how the actually process worked. When looking at the handout of Gradual Release, I was actually quite suprised. It was basically the same process that I use in my classroom. When talking about most concepts in the classroom, I use a three step approach. Most of the concepts I cover in class are either concepts my students forgot or really did not learn or retention from school. Since they struggle with the concepts, I start talking about the concept either making connections or possibly looking at a problem in general. I will go though the concepts possibly with a sample problem or two. Then I do blur the second part between sharing and guiding the students. Depending on the concepts, I may model the concept. I may guide them through the problem using leading questions. If it is an important concept or a hard concept, I will using modeling first, then guiding them through the problem. Once I have done this, I give the students one or two problems or even an activity for students to do on their own or in groups. I will then walk around and see how students were doing and check their work. By walking around I get to check to see if there is any information that I forgot to explain or general confusion. It also allows me to work with individual students if they are struggling. I can teach them other methods that may work best for them. Overall, my students like this process because they get to see the concepts on the board, but get to try it on their own to see if they understand the problems. I like it because I get to know the students and where the strengths and weaknesses are in their learning.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to find you're already doing something you've just learned about! I think you can also look at that diagram of Gradual Release to consider whether there are times when you set students to work without examples or preliminary support. Those opportunities might be few and far between in your setting, but there may be times when you can start in the middle or even toward the end of that responsibility release continuum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strong finish! "I get to know the students and where the strengths and weaknesses are in their learning."

    As a post I think this could use a statement of GRR in your own terms, and then maybe some specific examples from your class to support and illustrate what you're saying. In particular, I'd like to know about how you support a mix of stus in the same class period: some who need the demonstration, some ready to do with and some ready for independent?

    clear, coherent, consolidated: +
    content: mostly
    complete: see above

    ReplyDelete